Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Grouping in Reporting services

I am pulling 200,000 + records from an AS400 database through ODBC into a report. I have a couple of questions and I am totally new to SQL Reporting Services, so I don't expect a full answer to these questions, but maybe a couple of pointers or web sites that I can view for further information.

1) One of the fields that I am pulling in are dates going back to 1988. I need to first group these dates by year. Do the expressions used in the cells of a report table allow for formulas like =date.year?

2) I have a couple of fields that I need to group on: first being year, then state. There is a numeric field (participants) that I need to do a sum on. Do the reports have a (+) next to the grouping levels so for instance I have the 2000 year "closed", I need this to show total participants during that year (for every state). If 2000 was opened then it would list each state (that could further be drilled into) that would show total participants by state. I hope this makes sense. I used to do this in Visual Basic Windows forms 2003 version using the DataView control.

Thanks for any information.

Brad

i don't know about the first one but the second bit is possible take a look at this article on how to do it

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnsql2k/html/olapasandrs.asp?frame=true

No comments:

Post a Comment